Thursday, February 3, 2011

:: Random ::

Been reading chinese newspapers and watching news, got confused by different terms and it is getting on my nerves. For instance, from what i have learnt:

Indonesia has always been known as 印尼 and Australia as 澳洲

However, the recent usage of  印度尼西亚 for Indonesia and  澳大利亚 for Australia had really confused me.

I heard from one uncle that when he was still schooling, they were taught  澳大利亚 which is the chinese term for Australia instead of 澳洲. From from I have read from online, 印尼 is the "short form" for 印度尼西亚. Similarly 澳洲 is a short form for Australia. It is so strange that what i (or my generation) have learnt is different from what is used today. What surprises me is that I did not learn the proper term for the countries! But it could also be that now, they are trying to put in place the proper terms hence they are adopting these terms. So now you know,

 印度尼西亚 for Indonesia and  澳大利亚 for Australia  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment